Monday, June 29, 2009

Double Jeopardy

Matthew 4:8 Again, the devil took him to a very high mountain and showed him all the kingdoms of the world and their splendor.

 

Willing Exposure
Willingly, Jesus goes with the Devil to a high mountain.  This is the second time.  Here is Jesus isolated away from everyone except the Devil.  He is willingly taken into a place of testing and trial.  Going once was enough.  Now, He goes with this pure evil creature a second time.  It is isolation.  He is one on one with the strength of evil.  

The Devil has no authority over Jesus.  This is a choice of Jesus, Himself.  He is proving to us and to the Devil and to the entire world that will read this for centuries, that He is able to resist evil to the uttermost on behalf of mankind.  Amazing!

 

Extra Exhaustion

There are times God asks us to go the extra mile into exhaustion.  Think of how exhausting it must have been to put up with pure evil stretching against you.  There are times He asks us to do that.  We want to rest.  We want to quit for a season.  We want to lay down and cry in our pity.  God calls us to continue.  God calls us to do it again.  Jesus gave the example to follow.

 

Michael's Stretch

It was late for Michael.  Three times this week, he had stayed up late.  Each time a friend called and wanted to talk.  Then he would pray for an hour or more after the phone call.  The alarm in the morning was barely enough to cause him to wake.  He wondered how long he could keep doing this.  Wouldn’t that friend get to a point of surrender to Christ soon?  Must he talk to him every night?  He knew that was God’s plan.  He knew it was the right thing to do.  He knew he was the one person between Jack and a decision for Christ.  How long?

 

ACT:

Sometimes we fail.  Sometimes we give up and go on to something else.  Sometimes exhaustion takes us out instead of us moving forward.  Where have you failed and left a task undone exhausted?  Don't go back.  Go forward.  Let the old go.  Get your heart and mind ready for the next stretch.  Maybe it has already started.  Open yourself to being in this position as a directive of God to stretch you.  Put an extra hour into preparing yourself.  Get some extra sleep.  Read some extra bible.  Strengthen yourself.

 

 

PRAY:

Father, I am tired.  Yes, I am tired.  I would love to have the strength to go forward.  My own resolve tells me I could fail.  My own strength tells me I could fail.  Yet, I know You have placed me into this spot.  How do I stand?  How do I do more than stand?  How do I prevail instead of fail?  Strengthen me.  Give me the grace to keep moving forward.  I don't know how to prevail.  Only in your strength could I continue to stand.  I am in jeopardy of failing in the face of evil.  You have stood here many times in Your people in the strength of Jesus.  Stand with me.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment