Sunday, December 20, 2009

Straight

Matthew 5:  33"Again, you have heard that it was said to the people long ago, 'Do not break your oath, but keep the oaths you have made to the Lord.' 34 But I tell you, Do not swear at all: either by heaven, for it is God's throne; 35 or by the earth, for it is his footstool; or by Jerusalem, for it is the city of the Great King. 36 And do not swear by your head, for you cannot make even one hair white or black. 37 Simply let your 'Yes' be 'Yes,' and your 'No,' 'No'; anything beyond this comes from the evil one.

 

In our networking, political worlds, we often find shaded communications the norm.  Jesus is a straight shooter.  His admonition to us is to avoid dependence on excuses and other items like, "I swear by the heavens", over which we have no control.  Simply say yes or no He tells us.  Connecting with Jesus brings connection with a simple, clear answer.    Connecting with Jesus strengthens us to give a simple, clear answer and commitment when other's depend on us.

 

Recent communications between managers were evasive.  The one manager wanted absolutes.  There were no absolutes in giving 100% error free, mind reading service.  There were no absolutes in predicting people’s mistakes and accommodating for them in advance.  Finally, the service manager found a solution.  He could promise a clear and consistent process.  He could not commit to error free people.  He could commit to a measureable system of checks.  The communications clarified. They would never fully satisfy the demanding manager, who wanted 100%, but they would satisfy conscience.

 

ACT! Get straight on a miscommunication.  Think of a commitment you have made that really was neither a yes or no.   Make a decision and connect with the other person.  Tell them yes or no.

 

PRAY!  Father, help me to be like Jesus.  Give me clarity when I call to you.  Build clarity in me when I am called upon by others.  Show me direction.  Give me sound discretion in all decisions that I might be reliable and relied upon.  Bolster my confidence in You and in Your ability to follow through in me.  Let me not speak in shades of gray when people need clear and simple lines.  


 If we can pray for you regarding anything in your life, please let us know.  Our greatest blessing is to bless others in prayer. .  www.prayermetro.com   Phil@prayermetro.com

 

 

Phil Larson, 508 Tumbleweed Dr., Yukon, Oklahoma 73099  405-388-8037

 

No comments:

Post a Comment