Monday, May 9, 2011

The Blessing of Self Control

The pressures of life demand a response. 
A friend once said to me, "Every time you face information, you must respond." 
Another friend once counseled me, "You can either respond or react.  Choose."
Yet another friend advised me, "You have 20 seconds to decide how you will respond to news."
These three wisdoms, Evotion, were delivered over a 20 year period in different settings.
My greatest friend, the Creator, advises me to seek wise counsel and make plans before going out to do great exploits.  He also consoles me that the most circumspect will fall seven times, get back up, and be restored, if they let Him be the one in whom they put their trust.
 
Respond or react.  Choose.
When we respond to medicine, we improve.
When we react to medicine, life is not good.
We can respond or react by choice to most situations. 
Response breathes life. 
Reaction breathes death.
 
Isaiah 9:6
..... And he will be our ruler. He will be called, Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Eternal Father, Prince of Peace.
 
In Christ, I have access to the self-controlled ability to respond and not react.  Sometimes I use it.  Sometimes I don't.  The results usually speak quite quickly as to which I chose.
 
Let's Pray
Father, Your Holy Spirit offers Himself as a governor of our thoughts and heart and action.  You give us the ability to "put on" Jesus as if He were a suit of clothes covering our humanity and frailty with an armor of protection.  Help us to follow the wisdom of Your Holy Spirit and take on the counsel, the peace, the wisdom, the mercy, the truth, and the strength of heart and mind available in Him.  Surely, this day is full of opportunity to take the wrong path, react and find ourselves in a mess needing cleanup.  The same opportunity under self-controlled response can become a blessing to others and advance our cause and create life.  Touch me.  Touch my friend, Evotion, at those precious moments with strength of heart, stability of mind, and quickness of life-giving spirit to respond.
 

Phil Larson
405-388-8037
508 Tumbleweed Dr.
Yukon, Ok 73099

to unsubscribe reply with unsubscribe in the subject line.

No comments:

Post a Comment