Saturday, July 2, 2011

Free to Be Evotion.

Free To Be

Someone made a comment to me about a local university being "white". Then they apologized for having to say what they said. She was concerned the Latino community was not taking advantage of a great resource. For a moment I was quizzical about why she apologized. Of course that university is primarily a "white" population and not representative of the community percentages, except in some sports scholarships.   Why did she need to apologize?

Odd Man In

Some years back I was at a meeting of the Concerned Clergy for Spiritual Renewal. There were some tense statements made concerning the "white" community and then the room became quiet. A good friend of mine addressed the group saying, "Phil is just one of us, you are free to say what you want to say." It was a great compliment. The conversation went back into open mode.

Time Will Tell

Over the years I've been called a few names to my face and behind my back, had friends walk away, and been left in embarrassing situations not able to understand the words spoken whether in English or Spanish because I just could not relate. It has taken listening, absorbing and changing.

Process of Freedom

In the process, I believe I have more freedom today through submission than I had through being right. I am free to worship with friends in Orthodoxy, Roman Catholicism, Methodism, Presbyterianism, Baptists, Nazarene, Pentecostals, Full Gospel, Faith, and others. The door and platform of White, Black, Latino, African American, Hispanic American, and others are open and enjoyed.

Rights?

I am free to not push my race, culture, religion, or sexual status on someone else.

I am free to enjoy another person as a creation of God not a "whatever they are hung up about".

I am free to work and play with babies and octogenarians.

I am free to express my opinions and beliefs and let others decide what to believe and emote and how to respond.

I am free to live in a land that protects me being, well, me.

I am free to make a new friend, who may have radically different background and opinion and not be anxious.

What a blessing of Independence in our great nation. How awful it is to see so many angry about living in a land of such freedom.

The Apology

Well, anyway, it took me a minute to understand she apologized because she thought I might in someway be offended in relation to her reference to White. LOL. I guess I just don't think of myself as being my color or the heritage of my grandparents or in relation to anything other than just me, a reborn creation of God painted by His Spirit to merge more and more into His image. From Him came all creation and every race and He is my ultimate Father.

Free At Last, Thank God, Almighty, Free At Last

Yes, I am free to just be me. And I am free to see those around me as who they are not what they wear for skin or for clothes or where they or their grandparents lived. I have the freedom to live my Christian faith and allow others to live their faith. I have the freedom to not agree, but to respect.

This is freedom for me. It is just hard for me to think of myself in terms of race or color. Anyway, I am an all American mutt of many continents.

I pray with all my inner man that you find a great freedom celebration deep in your soul, Evotion,  this weekend. It is not just about a national birthday, but state of mind that we can be who we are and not be defined by our past or condition of birth. That is freedom.


Phil Larson, 405-388-8037'
508 Tumbleweed Dr.
Yukon, Oklahoma 73099

No comments:

Post a Comment