Sunday, August 2, 2009

Leaving Home

Matthew 4: 21: And going on from thence, he saw other two brethren, James the son of Zebedee, and John his brother, in a ship with Zebedee their father, mending their nets; and he called them.  22: And they immediately left the ship and their father, and followed him.

 

Two Gents

 These two gents are leaving home.  They are taking up their own place in life.  What must Dad be thinking?  What must all of their lifelong friends be thinking?  They left their father.  They left the family business.  They left reputation.  Would you?

 

Apostles are different?

Oh, Phil, this is what an apostle does.  They have a big calling.  No.  No.  No.  We all have a calling that makes us leave home and family and go on to our own faith.  Zebedee had a faith.  James and John had to get their own faith.  They had to take a leap into the world each alone.  Sure, they went together.  But each had to decide. So, we have to decide.  We face moments where we need to break away from all that is beside us and take on a new life and perspective.

 

Unity Calls

Some years ago, while serving as a pastor in a large multi-cultural denomination, such a decision came.  The call meant leaving the ship, the mother church.  The call meant walking out into a new world of relationships and leaving behind many others.  It has been a scary proposition.  Going back to the congregation left behind recently felt like visiting the house I grew up in.  It is familiar and different.  It is not me anymore.  James and John surely faced this as they moved away from home and father and became new men.

 

Going Back

In the last few years a friend had a career shift.  None of the managers around him believed in it.  His own staff was reticent to follow the new direction.  It took boldness.  It was lonely.  Sure a few supported in words and pats on the back.  But when the hard part came, and it always does, he found himself plenty alone.  Alone with his thoughts, over and over he has had to commit again and again to the same decision.  Sharing with him recently made me think of this scripture.  Surely James and John thought about going back many times.  All of us do.

 

Emotions

Just as a man and wife have to leave the families of their birth to form a new one, so there are moments of departure should we take the call of God and obey.  Emotions must separate.  Physical space must separate.  Mind sets must separate.  It is a part of becoming the new creature in Christ from glory to glory.

 

Many Calls

There are many calls in life.  Not all require complete shifts of location and relationships.  All require shifts of thought and commitment.

 

ACT!  Follow Him today.  He is calling.  He is demanding a separation and a new step.

 

PRAY!  Father, this is a little frightening.  What if I fail?  What if I fall?  If I have left the ship and left my father, who will catch me?  You?  Do I trust You?  Really trust You? 

Father, You are able in me.  Christ in me is the hope of glory, of success, of making it in the tough spots.  Build me.  Challenge me.  Don’t let me fail through not giving it my all.  Don’t let me fail by staying behind when You call me to come out.  Let’s move, Father.  Let’s make a big difference in our world. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment