Thursday, July 23, 2009

Fisher of men

Matthew 4: 18: And Jesus, walking by the sea of Galilee, saw two brethren, Simon called Peter, and Andrew his brother, casting a net into the sea: for they were fishers. 19: And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.

 

Peter and Andrew were never the same after meeting Jesus.   His nature as a gatherer of men for His Father's family became their nature.    He took a part of them and changed it to work for the kingdom. They gathered fish.  He needed men gatherers.  Meeting Jesus will change you to gather men and women and children to Him and His Father's family.  No matter what you gather now, He will add gathering men to His family.

 

My son and I were at the quick gas spot one evening.  A furtive man jumped from behind the car.  Assuring us he only wanted to beg some money, he approached.  I signaled to him to stay at a distance.  This was not the time and place. 

 

The next day, a half a block away, we went to lunch with my wife.  The man slipped from behind a car.  I engaged him in conversation as my wife and son went into the restaurant.  On the streets over time, I have talked to many such men.  Some are harmless.  Some are dangerous.  Some are unpredictable.  This one seemed the latter.  He was desperate, either on drugs or suffering from having none, and persistent.  Eye to eye, we talked.  He began to give me a string of problems and diseases.  Mid course, I stopped him and asked him what he was doing with what he was given.  He told me he worked painting and then quit in the last seven days.  He had already spent the money.  It would have been enough for several days in his lifestyle.  

 

He was quick witted.  He was strong.  He was trapped in somebody done me wrong songs.  It would be pitiful to give him a dollar and say the inevitable Jesus loves you stuff.   I gave him a few dollars, and I gave him straight advice.  Sure, Jesus is my motivation.  Do something with what you have.  Take your mind and body and put it to work.  Quit dwelling on the problems and get focused on the solution.  People are helping.  Use their help to get up and out.  Let Jesus pull you from the sea of problems through His fishermen.  Don’t just jump back in the water.

 

All of us get buried in our problems at times.  We like the water.  We like to swim around and feel sorry for ourselves and blame our condition on the waves.  Jesus did not hesitate to tell these two fishermen to get up and do something different.  He asked for immediate change and action.  They responded.  Will you?

 

ACT!  Think of one person around you that needs to be gathered to Jesus' family.  What do you need to do to invite them to be a part?  Think of one plaguing issue in your life.  What do you need to do to start it moving a different direction?

 

PRAY!  Father, help me to be a fisher of men.  Jesus has come to my life.  He's met with me and called me to be a fisherman with Him.  Help me to see those around me that He wants in the family.  Help me to know how to draw them to Him and Your family.

 

Father, give me a life of a productive fisherman.  Teach me to lay aside the excuses and embrace the solutions.  Take me to a place of action and response.  Open the eyes of my understanding to see and respond willingly with action.  Show me ways to fight the waves with action.  Show me ways to believe in Your support to do the impossible.  Then as my life shows promise, others will ask what makes for success and I will have the ready answer.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment