Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Evotion, a Fr. that Fathered.

Another excerpt on a father in my life from the book, "Like No Other Before".

There are many that have fathered different characteristics into my life.  In my early years, I was raised in a Roman Catholic congregation and private school.  While I am no longer a member of that denomination, as I live and work throughout the Body of Christ and the many expressions, the planting of this priest grew me and still helps me understand and support others.

Fr. Charles

As a child, one of my most influential counselors was Fr. Charles.  Folks told me he had lived a successful life in family, professional sports, and business before becoming a priest.  His family had died in a tragic accident.  At that point, late in life, he dedicated himself fully to others.
 
For some reason, he would invest in me.  Somehow, he saw a spark.  He gave me books on missionaries.  My soul was fed with a book on saints and their miracles.  Those early years in elementary school became years of encouraging greatness in the kingdom in me.
 
One of the special moments in my memory was on the playground.  The boys were playing.  Five of us that had grown together, played basketball together, and live together for years.  Somewhere in the play, I placed my foot over the neck of one with whom I was wrestling.  It was play.  There was no anger or malice, just play.
 
From a distance, it must have not looked so playful.  From the parsonage doorstep I heard the voice of wisdom and counsel call my name.  Fear never entered my mind from Fr. Charles.  He was tough, but I never doubted his love for me.  His words struck deep into my heart.  Admonishment for putting a friend in a position where he might be hurt even in play lodged in my soul. 
 
Today, as a businessman and pastor and friend to the fatherless and fathers, I understand how his words and counsels of example seeped into my thoughts and plans.  That priest still speaks to young men and daughters and fathers through me.  Our wondersome God placed wisdom in my path.  How thankful I am for the open heart to receive.
 
 
RESPOND WITH ACTION: Who in your circle has greatness accumulated?  Seek their counsel this week.  Find a way to tap into what is in them and use it.
 
PRAY WITH FAITH: This is the day You have made for us.  This is the world You have skillfully carved for us.  This is the destiny for which you have wonderfully made us.  Mold us, Lord of Creation. Meticulously mold our makeup.  Modify to fit the standards and requirements of Your determined destination for our lives. 
 
In this world You have an ultimate design.  Around us You have set wise counsel.  Allow us to see.  Open the eyes of our understanding.  Cause us to value that in which You have consistently invested wisdom and truth and honor, Your longtime servants.
 
Announcement:  Multi-Congregation Celebration of Pentecost ...June 12th at the Cathedral.  Go to www.celebratepentecost.com for a list of congregations participating and more information.

Phil Larson, 405-388-8037'
508 Tumbleweed Dr.
Yukon, Oklahoma 73099

No comments:

Post a Comment