Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Fathers stir the inner spirit.

2 Timothy 1:6-7 For this reason I remind you to keep alive the gift that God gave you when I laid my hands on you. For the Spirit that God has given us does not make us timid; instead, his Spirit fills us with power, love, and self-control.

"One of my favorite quotes by Albert Schweitzer:"In everyone's life, at some time, our inner fire goes out. It is then burst into flame by an encounter with another human being. We should all be thankful for those people who rekindle the inner spirit." Has someone rekindled your fire? Have you been that rekindling for someone else?" Stephen Covey

Fathers stir the inner spirit.

Three men come to mind when I contemplate this verse and thought. Bishop Frank Tunstall of the Pentecostal Holiness Church and Abuna Constantine Nasr of the Antiochan Orthodox Church and Dale Gentry, a prophetic evangelist. All have spent time with me in hard moments and stirred up the gift in me.

Bishop Tunstall has been a great friend at hard moments. When I need a counselor and friend, he is always there. He has been a promoter of the work of fathering and unity in the city. No one believes in me more than Dr. Tunstall. At times of dealing with grief and loss, he has been there. At times of sorting in our city, he has been there. That special touch of a man dedicated to growing others is rare and much appreciated. Thanks, Dr. Frank.

Abuna Nasr is a ninth generation priest. Born in Jerusalem and Palestinian in heritage, he is a rare blessing. He is full of wisdom in all things dealing with family and the ministry. Growing up with over 400 years of priestly heritage in the Holy Land is a gift. I pray my children will be able to look back in 400 years and discover the lineage of Christian service unbroken. Abuna is one of the three Aramaic words for father. One stands for "Divine Father". None of us can call any but God that title. Another stands for earthly father or biological father. Abuna is for spiritual father. Fr. Nasr is Abuna to me. He has spoken spiritual blessing and wisdom into my life and I hold that gift and relationship in utmost respect. Thanks, Abuna Nasr.

Dale has been sensitive to watch over my life for decades. His prayers and encouragements are many times received at just the right moment. Those words reveal his personal attention to my life. As he travels the world on a regular basis, he takes time at the right time to encourage. Thanks, Dale.

These men from what some might think are polar ends of the Christian spectrum have similar wisdom and encouragement for me and take time for me. It is amazing how consistent their words are. They do not just speak.  They speak from a heart of prayer and life lived in communication with the Holy Spirit.  What a blessing to have such men be fathers that breath life into my spirit and stir up gifts. Without them, I doubt I would have stood when I needed to stand many times in the journey.

Action: So back to Covey's questions: Has someone rekindled your fire? Tell them thank you. Have you been one to rekindle the fire in another? Do it again.

Prayer:

Father, I speak life into the fire in my friend, Evotion.
Let a stirring in the belly be instigated and inspired by Your Holy Spirit inside.
He is a well of joy in desert of despair.
He is a voice of courage in a maelstrom of mistakes.
He is a foundation of strength in our waffling weakness.
He is our teacher and comforter and encourager and friend.
Help us to receive His help in the words and hands of others.
Help us to allow Him to move through us into the life of another.

Phil Larson
405-388-8037
508 Tumbleweed Dr.
Yukon, Ok 73099

to unsubscribe reply with unsubscribe in the subject line.

No comments:

Post a Comment