Sunday, June 5, 2011

Fathers' Day is coming, Evotion.

Eleven years past, my life took a determined direction to help fathers.
 
Through working with the National Center for Fathering and congregations in the OKC area and CBMC and The Oklahoma Family Policy Council, we have seen thousands of families blessed.
 
Many years of early morning prayer vigils predate that thrust.  Grasping how important fathering is to the Father impassioned that thrust.
 
Through speaking to minister conferences, service worker events, foster parents, men's weekend retreats, Sunday morning services, radio, and television and hosting multi-church events for fathers, parents, and fathers and daughters - fathers and families have been built.  Many devotions have been targeted across the world promoting the love of fathers for their children.
 
Over the next two weeks, I'd like to share some anecdotes of men, who have fathered into my life.  Some fathered for a season, some for a lifetime.  The Father has blessed my life with greatness through the blessing of receiving from many fathers.
 
First, let me share an anecdote from my just published book, "No Leader Before".  One lesson from the life of Hezekiah is illustrated by my dad.  He taught me how to face the wall.
 
II Kings 20:1: In those days was Hezekiah sick unto death.  And the prophet Isaiah the son of Amoz came to him, and said unto him, Thus saith the LORD, Set thine house in order; for thou shalt die, and not live. 2: Then he turned his face to the wall, and prayed unto the LORD, saying, 3: I beseech thee, O LORD, remember now how I have walked before thee in truth and with a perfect heart, and have done that which is good in thy sight.  And Hezekiah wept sore. 4: And it came to pass, afore Isaiah was gone out into the middle court, that the word of the LORD came to him, saying, 5: Turn again, and tell Hezekiah the captain of my people, Thus saith the LORD, the God of David thy father, I have heard thy prayer, I have seen thy tears: behold, I will heal thee: on the third day thou shalt go up unto the house of the LORD. 6: And I will add unto thy days fifteen years; and I will deliver thee and this city out of the hand of the king of Assyria; and I will defend this city for mine own sake, and for my servant David's sake.

 

Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense”

 Winston Churchill quotes (British Orator, Author and Prime Minister during World War II. 1874-1965)

 

Tenacity

Testing times tell the tale of tenacity or terror.  Hezekiah chose tenacity.  Hezekiah again appealed to God's anointed for prayer and counsel.  Hezekiah again trusted in God.  Hezekiah turned his face to the wall.

 

No Distractions

When we face the wall, there are no distractions. 

When we face the wall, we allow nothing else to influence our thoughts and prayers.  When we face the wall, nothing matters but our relationship to God.

When we face the wall, we have decided to trust God and God alone. 

When we face the wall, we lay down our ways and imaginations and ideas and thoughts and give God room to do whatever. 

When we face the wall, we allow God to set the course. 

When we face the wall we close all the doors of our ideas and present an open heart and mind in which He can work. 

When we face the wall, we give all the options of who, what, where, when, and how to God's preference and choice.

 

Dad

My dad taught me to face the wall.  Over life, he reached top certifications as a financial examiner and a public accountant without a college degree.  Today, you can only take the test after you have a degree.  He beat the odds.  I am confident there were many nights of frustrated facing of walls that wanted to stop him.  He faced the wall with determination.

 

During WWII, he was placed in charge of interrogating German prisoners.  He had no knowledge of the German language.  Given a French/German dictionary, he took what he knew of Spanish, applied it to the French and began conversing with the German soldiers.  Over time, he became an effective interrogator.  He faced the wall with determination.

 

There were plenty of times we gave him opportunity to face the wall with our problems.  Each of my brothers and my sister have had events that would test the courage of any father.  He stood ground, supported, faced the wall alongside, and saw us through.

 

 

RESPOND WITH ACTION: Ready to face the wall?  Ready to quit trying to make it happen your way?  Ready to all God all the options of space and time?  Face the wall.  Give Him the challenge.

 

PRAY WITH FAITH: Lord of Life, Father of Love, God of my Salvation, we face the wall.  You know our frame.  You know our circumstance.  You know our heart. We face the wall.

 

God, we lay down our might.  God, we lay down our ideas.  God, we lay down our preferences and right.

 

God, we face the wall.  God, we open the ears of our heart to hear.  Speak what we do not know.  Our knowledge is too limited.  Shout what we cannot imagine.  Our creativity is stunted.  We face the wall.


Phil Larson
405-388-8037
508 Tumbleweed Dr.
Yukon, Ok 73099

to unsubscribe reply with unsubscribe in the subject line.

1 comment:

  1. Phil, this morning as I was driving to work a little voice spoke to me saying that something good was going to happen today. I thought of all sorts of funny things that could happen and even some serious. I thought, well I’m breathing, that’s something good. When I read this message I realized that something good was your message to us all but especially for me. Thank you Phil. It’s a reminder that we all have a “burning bush” somewhere and we must come to it with complete adoration. Louie

    ReplyDelete